What this paper adds|
• Adhesive small bowel obstruction (SBO) accounts for the largest group of SBO. Malignant small bowel obstruction, gall stone ileus and hernia incarceration are more prevalent in elderly patients
• Symptom presentation is otypical in elderly patients
• CT scan is highly sensitive and specific, and unenhanced CT is a safe method for diagnostics
• Frail elderly patients have more morbidity, mortality and functional decline
• A comprehensive geriatric approach, including patients’ preference is preferable.
• Applied waiting period to surgery might be too long in older patients with SBO